To slay or not to slay....lol

So I love makeup.............just looking at makeup gives me so much joy, I actually enjoy watching makeup videos on YouTube. I love to see how a supposed plain Jane can be transformed (Mind you, all God's creatures are beautiful). However make up just adds this "oomph" to a woman's appearance. So I like to play around with makeup myself. Its almost a hobby for me. However with the arrival of  selfies and social media, make-up has become really popular, and having a "beat" face is a must for most women.
So, I had this argument the other day, someone was trying to tell me  that a virtuous christian woman should not use makeup or any other thing for that matter to enhance her looks (side eye).
We had been discussing a particular female pastor, and this friend of mine pointed out that he felt it was wrong for her to wear makeup and jewelry.
I did not agree with his opinion, the woman was nicely put together, her makeup was not garish, she was properly and decently dressed, so what gives? As they say in social media lingo, Are we not allowed to "SLAY"?
The Bible speaks about make-up and even jewelry, however with no outright condemnation or even approval.
Let's look at what the scripture says in the book of Esther, Chapter 2, the ninth verse
Now the young lady pleased him and found favor with him. So he quickly provided her with her cosmetics and food, gave her seven choice maids from the king's palace and transferred her and her maids to the best place in the harem.
This refers to when Queen Esther was taken to the palace along with other beautiful young women, after Queen Vashti's rebellion. The King wanted to choose a new wife and the young women had to go through a period of beautification. I believe, if the cosmetic treatment was wrong, the Lord wouldn't have blessed  Esther, because the Bible says that King Xerxes favored her. She went on to bring deliverance to Israel through her royal position.
Let us also recall when Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for his son Isaac, when the servant met Rebekah, he declared his intentions by putting a ring on her nose. (so now you know I have nothing against nose rings or even ankle bracelets).
However a lot of people tend to argue with 1Tim 2: 9
Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments.
I really don't think the Lord is against physical grooming by woman, rather he wants us to not do these things at the expense of our salvation. We should attach more priority to spiritual grooming. Our makeup or jewelry should not define who we are in Christ Jesus.We should not also do these things with the intention to be seductive, rather we should groom ourselves decently and with moderation.
However what do you think? Is it wrong for a christian woman to wear jewelry or makeup?
Grace and Love!
One of my light make-up days.

same outfit, red lips.

Comments

  1. In my opinion, No. As far as you can do without the make-up and the jewelries. I think it becomes a problem when your make-up and jewelries become a god to you and your Life begins to depend on them so much so that you feel incomplete when you are not wearing your make-up or putting on jewelries. And the watch word for every Christian should be modesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Welcome to my blog, thanks for reading...but you know there are some Christian sects that try to make us believe that make up isn't for true Christians...that it is vain and worldly..anyway, I believe that the key word here is moderation. I agree with your makeup not being a god over you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts