To get down or not...☺

So, the 21 day fast has been on and its day 18 for most churches and day 21 for some. I am using the Daily Strength devotional for the fast and today s the last day. I have tried to follow through from the beginning and I usually brak mine by 12 noon each day. Would have loved to go on for longer, but I am still breastfeeding and any woman who has breastfed knows how the hunger pangs can be. I am even exclusively breastfeeding, so woman "gasto chop"..lol. Sometimes I feel like I haven't prayed enough during this exercise, although I have this peace within me that God is on top of all my prayer points, but I still feel like I should have prayed more. Anyway, His grace is sufficient, between taking care of the little one, running after the other two wise men, working, home making and catering to my husband. It sometimes feels like my prayer life is suffering.
I usually am in a hurry most mornings, so I don't pray most mornings, I wait till I get to the office to have a quiet moment with God when I get to have a break. Haven't written in m prayer journal for a while too. Lord help me biko, I can't be using the same gifts which you gave me to make excuses. How do you mums get to find time to serve God  especially within the week. I could do with some suggestions.
That brings me to a conversation I had the other day, this lady was telling me, how she had been having issues with her husband. The problem was that he wanted to have sex with her, even while she was fasting. She felt it was wrong, but her husband felt was having none of it.
Coming from my cultural setting, I understand the woman's view. Sex is seen as taboo by some people, an unholy act, therefore some may think having sex while fasting could, let's say, make your prayers less potent and the Lord won't answer them.It was a bit funny while the lady was talking about it, but on a serious note, most of the problems some marriages face are bordered on sex.
I had to refer her to 1 Corinthians 7:2-5.

But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband. The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. (NASB) 1 Corinthians 7:2-5

It is simple, your bodies belong to both of you, so the decision to abstain from sex for any length of time or reason should actually be a mutual agreement between the two of you. That is why I have highlighted the words"except by agreement" Apart from that, you really do not have any excuse to say"No sex, I am fasting".
So, if you actually want to abstain, you would have to get your husband to agree, maybe by getting him involved in the prayer and not praying on your own. You can also use bribery, while appealing to him to let you carry on your prayers without sex, promise to make it worth his while when you are done...(winks), you know what I mean. Your walk with God also involves a large chunk of how you treat you marriage and family. 
Would really love to read what others think. Please leave comments below.

May his Grace be with us...xoxo☺☺☺

Comments

Popular Posts